Sunday, June 22, 2008

Allow me to clarify...

Will isn't crawling - yet. Emphasis on the yet. I am sitting on the floor of our living room watching him play. He started next to me (in 1 corner of our living room rug). He proceeded to roll/push himself on his belly with his feet in a large oval all the way around to the toy basket that is actually next to me on the other side. Guess he decided to take the long route...I'm in the process of baby-proofing. Doing everything that I can before I have to make a trip to buy all the safety gear (baby gates, more outlet covers, locks for cabinets, etc.). It is amazing to watch the "getting mobile" process unfold. With it have come a couple of interesting tactics and issues...
1. Some babies use their arms - not a huge surprise, but Will uses his legs. I will find a way to capture this stage - toes digging into the floor, legs pushing up and his chest & belly firmly planted on the floor. If he didn't have a shirt on, he'd get rug burn on his chest as he pushes himself across the carpet! Even if he's rolled onto his back to enjoy the latest prize he's managed to reach, the legs are still kicking away.
2. He uses the "edges" - whatever it is that confines his space - the sofa, a chair, a table leg, he'll use them as leverage to push himself along.
3. Rolling IS a mode of transportation. Who knew?
4. Frustration!!! I hear more whining about the fact he can't move forward...
5. He must have a constant headache - even when we put him on the floor without a quilt to cushion him, he wings his head onto the floor without a care constantly....I keep on waiting for him to miscalculate how hard he's "going for it" when he rolls and end up screaming.

The 2 pictures from the last post were from the last week. And he's made even more progress in the last 48 hours...so we are in for it!!!

No comments: