Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

All 3 of the Bostroms missed midnight last night - we got close, but fell asleep!

We've had a very nice week - pretty quiet, though Will is madly working on new skills. And he's in serious fruit/vegetable avoidance at the moment. A couple of highlights of our week...

We have a couple of new signs and words - though we're definitely struggling with our communication. Will is very earnest when he's trying to tell you something - he looks us straight in the eye and signs or tries to use the words that he knows. The good news is that he's willing to try repeatedly until I get it! New signs include "more", "eat", and the sign for Cheerios/Rice Chex/Puffs. New words include Rice Chex (his current favorite food) and cookie. Will seems to be an eating machine these days. He's most intent when he's trying to tell us he'd like more to eat. The challenge is that he's using the "more" sign for lots of different things, so I often end up saying "more what??". I am sure there are more words in the conversation, but I haven't figured them out yet (I need a PhD in baby-speak and I'm just not there yet!).

Will has also made progress on walking - or I should say running - with the wagon. He has absolutely no regard for shins, toes, toys or the coffee table - and often runs over things, and then into things - at full speed. He can now reliably go up and down the stairs on his own, which is a bit of a relief on the safety front.

And last but not least, a bit of an evolution on sleeping. We're still not sleeping through the night, but Will has gotten to the point where we can put him down and he'll settle himself with minimal fuss. Not such a huge deal, except for the fact that it is happening for naps - when he's tired, he'll just lay down and go to sleep. I'm not holding my breath, but I do think it is a good sign. :)

Today, the plan is to watch football and relax - we had a very nice New Year's Day breakfast with friends, and I'm quite happy to snuggle up and do nothing for the rest of the day. Happy New Year!!!

No comments: