Every time I think Will is a "big boy", something happens to remind me that he's a little guy, a peanut still really! We bought a highchair today. Not a big deal , except for 2 relatively funny things that happened to go along with the purchase. 1. This is a standard high chair - has some of the latest bells and whistles in highchairs, but nothing crazy. Honestly, Will looks tiny in it. He can see over the tray, and get his arms up there, but he's definitely not going to grow out of this chair any time soon. 2. The highchair tray comes with 2 dishwasher-safe tray inserts. We thought this would be a great benefit - one could be on the highchair, the other in the dishwasher. And they don't have deep cubbies, so cup size, etc. should not be an issue. Except for the fact that you'd have to have a dishwasher the size of the state of Texas to fit said tray!!!!!!! I tried, and we have a standard dishwasher - both trays are sitting in our well-loved drying rack next to the sink after their first of what will be many hand washes...
Over the last couple of nights we've had a bit of a sleep evolution. I can't figure out what has done it, but Will is really working on getting to sleep and staying asleep on his own. I think I've mentioned that he likes to sleep on his side, which has been a gradual discovery over the last several weeks or so. Usually, he sleeps on his side when he sleeps with us, after I've been up multiple times in the night and given up on Will sleeping in the crib on his own. We've had multiple weeks of nghts, some better than others, where we've ended up with Will in our bed, waking up every hour to nurse because he can't get himself back to sleep on his own. He will consistently roll over onto his side to nurse, and just stay there when he's fallen asleep. I had gotten to the point where I said out loud - to Dave, to daycare, to family, to everyone - getting sleep, decent sleep, is more important than how we get it. That said, I've been pretty determined that we would not go the "family bed" route - I just don't think it is really the right thing for us. Anyway, earlier in the week Will started to resist the usual bedtime soothers - nursing, rocking. Really it has been the rocking that has gotten him wiggling, so I started just putting him down, in the crib, to let him sort it it out on his own. And he has! Tonight, he fussed (without much fanfare) for about 5 minutes, rolled over on his side, and fell asleep. I went to check on him and was amazed...on Thursday night, he slept from 7:30pm to 5:15am - and I went in once around midnight to give him back his binkie and help him roll back onto his side. Last night he needed a snack in the middle of the night, but was only up twice. I am feeling a small glimmer of hope that we're on our way...
As Dave says..."He's doing it!!!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment