Sunday, August 31, 2008

I re-read my post from yesterday and it sounds a little "woe is me"...or maybe it should be "woe is Will". Anyway...thought I would add some positive stories from yesterday to brighten things up! (Fever is down a bit this morning as well - wahoo!)

Story # 1- After a good nap yesterday, Will and I played a little bit outside and then decided that we'd go downstairs and pull out ALL the toys for a little bit to play before dinner. I've been trying (somewhat in vain) to get Will to drink Pedialyte over the last couple of days, trying to make sure we fend off dehydration. My latest trick is to mix 1/2 unflavored Pedialyte with 1/2 the only formula that he'll drink. Into a sippy cup and hope for the best was my plan. For about 20 minutes Will sat in my lap, signed milk, and drank Mommy's "anti-dehydration concoction" - a good 2-3 ounces of it - out of the sippy cup. This is remarkable for a couple of reasons: 1. Will is still convinced that anything that isn't Mommy's milk tastes funny, so usually we mix 1/2 formula and 1/2 Mommy's milk in bottles. 2. He'll drink out of a cup, but has absolutely boycotted the sippy cups to date.

Story # 2 - "he claps" - I really do wish I had video for this one...Will woke up last night around 9 and couldn't go back to sleep. I wrestled with him until about 10 (anyone else tried to get a feverish 10 month old to sit still while you're in a rocking chair?! I was a jungle gym!), finally got eyes closed and put him in the crib. Walked downstairs with the chocolate chip cookies and wine to have a few minutes of relaxation before I headed for bed. Turned on the monitor - to hear Will, yelling about the fact that he was by himself, in the crib, and was bitter about it. So back upstairs I went, mumbling under my breath and trying to figure out which "go to sleep strategy" I was going to start with...knowing full well I would be using more than 1! Anyway....after another 10 minutes of wrestling, I put Will down on the floor. His look said "wow - so I didn't expect she'd do THAT!". And of course, he crawled away to the edge of the nursery rug to check to make sure there was nothing hiding under the edge of it (for about the 200th time - this is one of those things that Will just does...he looks under the edge of the rug...). After peeking under the rug, he looked up at me, signed for milk, looked down at himself signing, and then started to clap, as if applauding himself on his signing capabilities. At this point...it was 10:30...and I was a little punchy - so I had a really hard time keeping a straight face as he did the same thing 3 more times - crawl a little bit, sit up, sign for milk, congratulate himself. Hopefully we can catch him showing off again before we're back to work on Tuesday.

No comments: